Frequently Asked Questions

Q. When do classes start?

A. Enroll now and start immediately! Because you're in a "class of one," there's no need to wait for the next semester - class is in session whenever you're ready to learn.

Q. How long will it take to complete my training?

A. It's up to you. With Penn Foster College, you set your own pace...complete your studies as quickly or as slowly as you like. You can take up to 12 months to finish each semester of a Degree Program.

Q. Do I need any previous experience?

A. All Degree Programs require that you have a High School Diploma or GED to enroll. If you don't have your High School Diploma, and are interested in getting it, click here for details on the Penn Foster High School.

Q. I have been out of school for a long time. Will I have trouble?

A. You shouldn't. A Penn Foster College education is unlike attending classes at other institutions. You proceed at your own pace, learning at the most comfortable speed. Lessons are clearly written, and contain detailed diagrams, when necessary, to illustrate important points. However, if you should have a question about anything in your program, just call our toll-free instructional support line or you can contact your instructor by e-mail.

Q. Do I need to buy any extra books or supplies?

A. You don't need anything extra to get started - just a pen and paper and the willingness to learn. All programs comprise the learning materials you need to complete your studies and are included in the low tuition price. However, in the programs that include computer training, you will need to have access to a computer (see individual program descriptions for system requirements).

Q. What about fees for the resident lab, if required?

A. If you enroll in a degree program requiring a resident lab, you may be required to attend a two-week resident laboratory training at the Pennsylvania State University Harrisburg Campus in Middletown, Pennsylvania. There is an additional charge for this valuable, hands-on part of your four-semester program. However, you may be able to take this training at a college or university near your home. Or, if you have previous experience in your field of study, you may be exempt from having to attend this lab. Your advisor will work closely with you to coordinate this part of your Degree Program, which will occur in either your third or fourth semester.